Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Papercraft Star 61

 ♥♥♥♥♥♥

Today Papercraft Star 61 opens - with a color challenge !

For those of us who are Americans, we cannot get past this time of year without thinking of our flag.  It is the 10th anniversary of a most terrible day for us all, coming up on 9/11.

When I was a small girl growing up in Vancouver British Columbia, there were still many many disabled veterans alive from WW 1.  In November they would be in the streets selling paper poppies for a couple of cents, and everyone wore one, to remind us of our servicemen and women who died protecting us. 

This time we had no war, our losses weren't sad, vague ones, we saw innocents dying, or about to die for absolutely nothing. 


When I made this card I had had it in my mind for a very long time - the poppies will always mean remembrance to me.  In France during WW 1, a terrible loss of life in Flanders Fields, where poppies grew up around the graves.





Cardstock & blue dotted paper - Close to My Heart
Poppy paper - K & Co
Brad - Eyelet Outlet
Stamp - unknown
Ink - Ranger Distress, Versamark
Pen - Identipen

♥♥♥♥♥♥♥

5 comments:

  1. Jan thank you for sharing this, I will never look at a poppy the same way again. Knowing the story behind this card and what it means just makes me appreciate it that much more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Anitra Jan, telling us what inspired you to make this card made it even more beautiful. Tim Coffey can make some of the most beautiful floral paper and luckily he created these poppies so you could share this specail card with us. Lovely project for this weeks color challenge. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have always loved the poppy. I now have a greater appreciation for it. I am awe struck with the symbolism you have shown us. I loved your card as soon as I saw it and want that paper too. Thank you for sharing.
    Kindest regards,
    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow Jan, so pretty! I love your use of the pattern paper on this one. Some patterns can be so intimidating but you took them to a new level, Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jan, this is such a special card because of your story about the poppy. I didn't know any of that. I always thought of poppies as being a California native plant or the flower from the Wizard of Oz.

    I really love how you created a hidden pocket for the tag. So, so unique!

    ReplyDelete